I am so tired of the people on the right complaining about Obama "redistributing the wealth" and the recent tea parties.
1) Most of the people protesting are BENEFITING from the change, so they are either ignorant of this simple detail or dead-ass stupid. I think they have their heads so far up their rhetoric that they can't see the road. They'd rather hate Obama than go to all the trouble of THINKING.
3) The top tax rate is just falling back to Clinton-era rates, BETTER than some of Reagan's tax levels (and only 5% are in this range. http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/151.html
4) So, since Obama (and his Congress) is lowering the tax on the lower incomes and raising it on upper incomes = redistributing the wealth to the lower incomes, does Bush (and his Congress) lowering taxes on upper incomes & corporations and running up record deficits (after Clinton started paying down the debt) = redistributing the wealth to the upper incomes & corporations? ...and this is better for working-class people...
5) Calling this "taxation without representation" takes us back to ignorant/stupid. Just because the person you voted for lost does NOT mean you are not represented. If it does, I have gone largely unrepresented in Missouri, in Congress, and in the White House since I started voting. Only twice has the person I voted for become President.
6) Comparing Obama's budget proposal that INCLUDES Iraq/Afghanistan and estimates for disaster relief with Bush proposals that ignored all this is apples/oranges. "Obama proposed XX more spending that Bush!" could be rephrased as "Obama was XX more honest than Bush." George W. Bush is a habitual liar. Play his statements about unwarranted wiretapping back in chronological order if you want ONE example.
Note that I did NOT vote for Clinton or either Bush. I'm not a big fan of Clinton, but he and his Republican congress managed to start paying down the debt. I respect George H. W. Bush and Reagan for their accomplishments, but wonder at the people who think well of George W. Bush. What were they thinking? He (and his machine, including Rove and Cheney) used good people up and lied to the country.
Hating Obama now doesn't help you make George W. Bush a good person.